Conlanging, in plain English.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Occasional Word in Merechi: rúk

rúk  ['RU K ['4uk] v. char, to become charred.

Today's word is part of the groundwork for the series on cooking words. mërèchi has a number of different words for burning and the subprocesses in burning: hàca, rúk and pèl. Of these, rúk gives rise to one of mërèchi's two cooking words, which we will cover next time.


Examples:


[LA'TÈ MI A] ['RU KNN] ['NI] ['ACÈS ['PÈ LNN]

latèmia rúkn'n, ní àces pèln'n: Wood chars, but embers burn to ash.


[RU 'KI PI AC ['ACE] ['TA HLVAVDA ] ['HRODI ] [KI 'TE R CSA PA]

rükípia'c àcë tàhlvav'da, hródi ki'tércsap'a: Give me some char, that I may write.

2 comments:

  1. In my RSS feed, I misread "cooking words" as "cookie words", and got really excited. I'm really interested, though, in the "subprocesses" of burning. I had no idea it was that complex! Perhaps that's why I don't cook on any regular basis...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got curious about the burning process last fall when we were burning a lot of wood in the fireplace. I don't remember what I looked up on wikipedia first, but came to find out that visible flames were associated with the wood burning into charcoal, and the charcoal then burnt the rest of the way without flames as glowing orange embers, all the way to ash.

    I don't think this is actually relevant to cooking if you're doing it right :)

    As for cookies, sooner or later I'll have to decide if they have them! Thanks to the meat pie relay, I know they have ovens...

    ReplyDelete